Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thursday's NCAA Crystal Ball

The Sweet 16 begins tomorrow, and JFLAN is here to make his predictions. By looking into my crystal ball, I have seen the outcomes of Thursday's 4 games (Note: Had I these actual powers, I would be in first in my office, Facebook and ESPN pools).

WEST REGION

#1 UCONN vs #5 Purdue:
- UCONN simply has too many weapons. AJ Price and Hasheem Thabeet are first team all-world players, but I think the difference will be PF Jeff Adrien. He is a strong inside/outside presence that can take the pressure off of Thabeet. UCONN wins, 75-65.

#2 Memphis vs #3 Mizzou
- I am eternally grateful to Memphis for knocking Maryland and Gary Williams (aka the Lord of All Delusions) out of the tourney. Tyreke Evans is a great player, possibly the best freshman in the country. But Memphis is a young team, and I think the tenacious press of the Mizzou Tigers will prove to be too much for the Memphis Tigers to handle. Mizzou in a squeaker, 61-58.

EAST REGION

#1 Pitt vs #4 Xavier
- I don't know what is wrong with Pitt. They haven't played up to their ability. However, they have still shown toughness in being able to win while not at the top of their game. The Panthers haven't been able to get past this round under Coach Dixon. But I think this Sweet 16 game is where they finally click, and give the Musketeers a steady dose of the Big 3- Fields, Young and Blair. Pitt rolls, 70-55.

#2 Duke vs #3 Villanova
- This game is being billed as the battle of the guards. Big Men need not apply. But I think the most important player on the floor will be Villanova's PF Donte Cunningham. He can play down low, and has drained every 15-ft. jumper I have seen him attempt. He can also defend, and grab the rebounds that the smaller Duke players may not get. Villanova is playing with a whole lot of confidence after they man-handled UCLA, and have more tournament experience than this crop of Devils. Thats why I like the Wildcats to move on to Saturday, 79-71.


But then again... I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment