Monday, March 28, 2011

Slow Day...

Slow Day today at work and in sports. Here are some thoughts-

- People are still saying that VCU never deserved to be in the tournament. I disagree, just because they have proven themselves now, and Colorado and V-Tech didn't take control of their own destiny down the stretch. Interesting thought: The last time people were so up in arms about a small school getting into the tournament over a big school was in 2006. The team was George Mason. They made it to the Final Four also.

- If VCU somehow beats Kentucky in the National championship game, they would have beaten teams from all 6 major conferences. Amazing.

- One Big East team made it to the Final Four. No ACC teams. No Big Ten teams. No Pac 10 teams. No Big XII teams. Big East, SEC, Horizon and CAA. By the knee-jerk logic of the first weekend, when everyone (including the journalists on ESPN, excluding JA Adande and Jay Bilas) said that clearly the Big East was no where near the best conference in basketball based on their tournament performance, this clearly means that the CAA, SEC, Big East and Horizon are superior conferences to all others, right? Cause I am doing just what everyone else did, and not paying attention to the regular season or out of conference records either. Same thing. I get actively rooting against other teams or other conferences. I hate the ACC. People hate the Big East. Having strong allegiances is a good thing. But the numbers don't lie. They had the best out of conference record, and the best record against the other BCS conferences. The Big East was the best conference all year. The tournament doesn't change that. Were they a disappointment in the tournament? Sure. Do they still have a team in the Final Four? You bet.

- I am loving watching Charles Barkley pick against the Big East every game and be wrong. Kemba Walker is making the Round Mound of Rebound eat his words like a box of donuts and a Big Mac... then again, Chuck would probably like that...

- Yes, rooting for UConn makes me sick to my stomach... but I am doing it anyway.

- Congrats to Barry Sullivan, James Mitman and my brother Billy for winning the JFLANland Challenge. I know what you are thinking- there are still 3 games left, how could they have won? Well, The rest of the entrants can no longer score points, so they have the Top 3 set. I finished in 4th, content that I did not waste $20 in my office pool.

- Opening Day is Thursday! Like that the Nats traded Nyjer Morgan. I think Rick Ankiel is better now, and Roger Bernadina is better in the long run. He was very fun at times, but had no power and got in too many fights. His OPS was awful. We need our leadoff hitter on base as much as possible, especially with Werth, Zim and LaRoche as the 2-4 hitters.

- I love the Orioles' fire and smacktalk coming from Buck Showalter. I don't like their owner. I am not a huge fan or their rotation and bullpen. I don't like that they compete with the Yankees and Red Soxs.

- The Draft is less than a month away!

- Hockey regular season coming to a close soon. As a Caps fan, I am amazingly afraid of possibly playing the Rangers in Round 1. Terrified.

- Tiger still isn't back. There's your golf update.

- That Carmelo trade was supposed to make Knicks better, right? And was supposed to decimate the Nuggets, right? Welcome to the bizarro NBA.

- The NBA lockout should scare every college player, but hopefully it will lead to a better product next year. Were I a freshman phenom like Jared Sullinger, I would stay in school too. They are going to miss games next season. Be afraid. Stay where it is safe. Stay in school. Go to class. Get a 4.0 like Kentucky point guard Brandon Knight. Work on your game like Syracuse center Fab Melo. Enjoy your time being a college student like Jared Sullinger. The NBA will be back, just not next year.


That's all I got for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment