Monday, January 10, 2011

Wild Card Weekend Thoughts

Here are my musings and opinions on what transpired over Wild Card Weekend in the NFL:

- Man, the Ravens are good. I know they are a bit streaky, but when they are on, it is difficult to do anything against them. With the exception of one long touchdown run, the Ravens' D was dominant. Turnovers, sacks, pressure. Just beautiful. And I know that Suggs and Lewis get a ton of credit, but when will Jameel McClain get noticed. He is a solid young linebacker who finds himself in the right spot more often than not. No, I am not biased because McClain went to Syracuse... Well, maybe a little. Glad my AFC representative in the Super Bowl survives another week.

- KC, what happened. Was Charlie Weis leaving really that big of a blow that you lost all of your drive? Not impressed at all.

- Who the hell do the Seahawks think they are? Winning a playoff game? Boy, did everyone have that one wrong, including me. Roman Harper cannot cover at all, and Marshawn went full-out Beast Mode on that touchdown run. How the Saints seemed so ill-prepared is beyond me. How their defense came up so small boggles the mind. Greg Williams might have lost his head coaching job in Denver after that.

- We need a better definition of roughing the punter/running into the punter. I also fully endorse a 10-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for punters who flop in order to draw the penalty.

- Peyton Manning lost that game to the Jets. Why? He didn't challenge Revis once. I am sorry, but I don't buy the dominance of Revis Island, because I have seen him get beat. Randy Moss beat him so bad that he missed the following 3 games. Reggie Wayne has every right to be pissed as hell at Peyton for not throwing to him. Law of averages- your pro bowl WR is going to beat this corner once or twice, and they should have taken advantage. Not enough down field throws. Way too much running for the Colts. Just a terrible game plan all around. And Vinatieri is clutch as hell, but he can't play defense also. Stop the Jets on that last drive. Send some pressure. Just dismal.

- The Packers GMs and scouts should all get raises for finding all of these nobodies that just helped them dominate the Eagles. Random RBs and WRs that come together and provide Aaron Rodgers with weapons and a solid running game. NFC Super Bowl goes on the road and takes it from Vick and Co. Aaron looked pumped...



- Speaking of Mr. Vick: He gets hit too much. I know that isn't a fantastic insight or anything. Just a fact. He wants to make the big play with his feet when he is out of the pocket, and that just leads to him getting hit hard. The Eagles think they have their new QB. I would caution them and their fans, because Vick could keep missing 4-6 games a year with concussions, broken ribs and twisted ankles if he keeps this play up, and Kolb might not be there to fill in next season.

- Andy Reid lost another playoff game. When will people start pointing out that he comes up small too. With another QB. At home. Loss.


Enjoy your day, folks. I should be posting my predictions for this weekend tomorrow or Wednesday. Spoiler Alert, I am sticking with the Ravens and Packers as my Super Bowl picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment