Monday, January 3, 2011

A Look Back at My NFL Predictions

Ok, so let's look at the teams I said would win the divisions, and my picks for the wild cards as we head into the NFL playoffs.

NFC:

Predictions
East: Dallas
South: New Orleans
North: Green Bay
West: San Francisco
Wild Cards: Washington and Minnesota


Actual
East: Philadelphia
South: Atlanta
North: Chicago
West: Seattle
Wild Cards: Green Bay and New Orleans

Ok, so not my best work. I, like everyone else, figured the Cowboys would build on last year and take the NFC East. I also had far too much faith in Mike Shanahan, who doesn't know how to coach. I didn't think that the Eagles would do well because I have no faith in Kevin Kolb. They won with Mike Vick. I think my pick was still valid, because they didn't make the playoffs with him as the starter. I had Atlanta at 9-7, and they did even better, getting the #1 seed in the playoffs. New Orleans will be a tough match for any time, and at 12-4 were good enough to win every other division. Chicago surprised me too. Cutler wasn't terrible, and the Packers were injured, but still gutted out the 6-seed. As for Seattle... Well, they made with a losing record, so me picking the 49ers doesn't count because that division doesn't count this season.


AFC

Predictions
East: Miami
South: Indianapolis
North: Baltimore
West: San Diego
Wild Cards: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Oakland and Kansas City all tied at 10-6

Actual
East: New England
South: Indianapolis
North: Pittsburgh
West: Kansas City
Wild Cards: Baltimore and New York Jets

Record-wise, with a lot of these teams, I wasn't far off. The Jets managed to do well in spite of Sanchez late in the season. Miami went 7-9, and will fire their coach and QB because of it. New England and Tom Brady (my fantasy football heartthrob) showed why they are a dominant franchise, getting rid of Randy Moss and improving. Indy won it again, but didn't win 12 like I said they would. The streak is over. The Steelers won 3 of their first 4, all without Big Ben. The Ravens had a few disappointing losses that cost them the top spot. I still like them in the playoffs and to get to the Super Bowl. Kansas City might be my favorite pick. I didn't have them winning the division, but I did get their record exactly right. Booyah to that. They will have a tough time against the Ravens though.



Other predictions I liked:

- Oakland going 10-6. They didn't do it, but 8-8 and 6-0 in the AFC West is very impressive. Jason Campbell looked great in a new city, and I am happy for him.

- Tampa Bay's young guys being solid. I told you Mike Williams would be good. I told you I liked Josh Freeman. They just got a lot better a lot faster than I thought they would. I thought 2011 would be their year. Instead, 2010 saw them win 10 games. LeGarrette Blount might be a new star RB, and Freeman looks like the best QB in that draft. And, oh yeah, MIKE WILLIAMS!

- Picking Ahmad Bradshaw in fantasy. Yeah, he had fumble problems. But he also helped me win two of my leagues with his carrying and catching.

- Drafting Clinton Portis in fantasy. Did he do anything? No. Did I trade him for Calvin Johnson, straight up, because my friend was desperate for a starting RB and approached me with the trade? Yes I did. Thank you Andrew.

- Being Wacko for Flacco. Back to the playoffs for the 3rd straight year.

Predictions I kind of regret:

- Anything I said about the Redskins that was positive.

- Having faith in Carolina

- Having faith in Miami

- Having little faith in St. Louis, Buffalo and Detroit. All did better than I said.

- Drafting Ryan Matthews in fantasy. Not a good season, until week 15.

- Russel Okung being miles better than Trent Williams, though neither is as good as Roger Saffold.

Well, there it is. I got some right. I got some wrong. My Super Bowl picks, Baltimore and Green Bay, are still alive. Enjoy the playoffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment