Sunday, February 5, 2012

Who You Takin In The Friggin SUPER BOWL!?

Well it is here. The biggest game of the season. One team cements their legacy, one team is stuck in Indianapolis for a night, wondering what could have been. In 2008, the Patriots and Giants played an epic Super Bowl, and Eli outdueled Tom to take home the title. What will happen this year? Well, first, lets look at some advantages each team has.

- The QB matchup is almost a push. Almost. Eli Manning has easily become an elite QB, and since he already has a ring, it is difficult to argue against him. But Tom Brady has 3 rings. He did not play well in Baltimore, but with two weeks to prepare, I give him the edge. Advantage Patriots.

- The wide receiving matchup doesn't really compare. Wes Welker is fantastic, but the combination of Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, and Mario Manningham will cause matchup nightmare for that porous Pats secondary. Advantage Giants.

- As one sided as the WR match up is for the Giants, that's how imbalanced the tight end position is in favor of the Patriots. Gronk might not be 100%, but he will still find a way to be effective. I expect Aaron Hernandez to have a fairly big game, both running and receiving. Advantage Patriots.

- The Pats' running game is very streaky. Same can be said for the Giants. I love Ahmad Bradshaw, but I can't say either is better right now. Push.

- The Giants' defensive line is the X factor in this game. If they can be as dominant as their talent and potential allows them to, they could end the game early. Tom needs to watch out. Advantage Giants.

- The Patriots' secondary has given up the most passing yards in NFL History! The Giants' hasn't. Advantage Giants.

- Lawrence Tynes and Stephen Gostkowski are both solid kickers. Tynes has been in the big game before, and has made huge kicks in his career. Advantage Giants.

- Both coaches have rings. Belichick has more. Coughlin has beaten Belichick. Slight Advantage Patriots.



There are a few wild cards in my rooting interest:

As many of you know, I have been a Michigan fan since I was 5. They were the Wolverines, I liked X-Men, a love affair was born. So, in my closet, I have a Tom Brady Michigan jersey. I also had a Brady Patriots jersey custom made before he won his first Super Bowl. I like Tom. I don't care if he is kind of metrosexual. I don't care that he complains sometimes and gets too many calls in his favor. I love watching him play football. He is an all-time great, and every fan would want him on their team. Especially the Jets fans.

Next, there is something I call YBS, or Younger Brother Syndrome. If you are a younger brother, you have it. I have it. Eli Manning has it. To be able to outshine your older brother is a nice thing sometimes. For Eli, he has always been Peyton's little brother. If he wins today, he will be a sure fire Hall of Fame QB, and will have one more ring than his older brother. I'd like to see that.

I don't really like Bill Belichick, though I appreciate his humorous interviews this week. I just think he has gotten too much credit for winning when he has a top 10 all time QB.

Tom Coughlin is a proud graduate of Syracuse University. I have to root for a fellow Orangeman. Fun fact: Hall of Fame basketball coach Jim Boeheim was Coughlin's RA.

The Giants lost twice to the Redskins. Last time they did that and made the Super Bowl, they won. Almost identical scores. At the same time, no team that loses to the Redskins twice should be a Champion.

Robert Kraft helped save the football season, lost his wife, and seems like an amazing guy. Hard to root against him.

I kind of feel bad for Chad Ochocinco. I would like to see him score a touchdown and win a ring.

The Patriots shouldn't be in the game. All Lee Evans had to do was hold on to the ball.

Both New Englanders and New Yorkers are annoying. Thank God this isn't baseball season.


So... After all of that... Who am I rooting for?

I don't know. I didn't root for anyone in 2008. I am torn, clearly. I just hope for an excellent game.

Now, that being said, who am I taking in the friggin Super Bowl? Everything in my mind is pointing to the Giants winning. Ergo-

Give me the New England Patriots 27-24.

Enjoy the game. Avoid the halftime show. Let's send off the 2011-2012 NFL Season with a bang!

No comments:

Post a Comment