Sunday, February 26, 2012

NFL Combine Thoughts- Part 1

Here is my first installment of my impressions from the NFL Scouting Combine. Just some musings about the offensive line and tight end positions.

- Matt Kalil is far and away the best offensive lineman. A sub-5.00 40 yard dash, 30 reps on the 225 press. I don't know why people are trying to trade down when they have a chance to draft him. If he magically fell to the Redskins, who can't get Griffin, I want Kalil more than anyone else. He makes sense for the Rams and Vikings too. The Bills might be wise to trade up for him, though there is talent elsewhere.

- This OL draft class is very deep, and full of solid, athletic players. I could see Kalil, Riley Reiff and Johnathan Martin all being All-Pros for the next 10 years. After that, you have great future starters across the line. I was really impressed with how well they all moved.

- Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the offensive linemen have to run the 40? When was the last time any O-lineman ran 40 yards on one play?

- The tight ends were... alright. I was disappointed because I didn't get to see my Syracuse boy Nick Provo, who was out due to injury. He should be fine for Cuse's pro day on March 8th. He isLink not the best blocker, but was the best and most reliable receiver on the Orange last year. His best game came against West Virginia. He's not the biggest guy, but as a late round pick he could be productive.

- James Hanna from Oklahoma might rise up the boards thanks to his workout. Put up solid numbers in all the drills.

That's it for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment