Thursday, June 11, 2009

300

A week later, and I am still in awe of Randy Johnson. I was lucky enough to be there at National Park when the Big Unit won his 300th game. He pitched a gem, though his bullpen almost gave it up in the 8th. At the end of the game, all of those who were braving the downpour were chanting "Randy, Randy" as the Giants wrapped up a 5-1 win. I have never rooted harder against my favorite baseball team. I was afraid we would win and deny me a chance to see history.

Johnson's win brought about a great deal of speculation on if we will ever see a 300 game winner again. I am going to say yes, in the persons of CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay. Both are young and extremely talented. If they pitch to their early 40s and average 15 wins a year, they will reach 300. Also, if he continues to pitch into his 50s, 46 year old Jamie Moyer could reach it. He just passed 250 and is on the defending World Series Champions. Just keep playing the Nationals, and you'll get there Jamie.

Again, congrats to The Big Unit. I have been a fan my entire life, and being able to witness 300 was an honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment