Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thoughts on the NFL Divisional Weekend

So, here are some thoughts on the weekend that was in the NFL Playoffs.

- That Saints/49ers game was fantastic. I didn't like the result because I always root for Drew Brees, but I feel good for Alex Smith. The fans in San Fran hated him, and had a reason to do so because he hasn't played up to his draft pick. But this season he has helped return the 49ers to their former glory. So congrats to him. Meanwhile, for the Saints, they should be happy that Gregg Williams is leaving to become the new defensive coordinator for the Rams, because he dropped the ball yesterday. The 49ers have one true receiving weapon, and that is Vernon Davis. Williams let him get single-covered the entire game, and he beat them every time. If you throw zone coverage with a safety up top, then the Saints would have at least forced OT.

- The long national nightmare came to an end Saturday night- Tim Tebow lost in the playoffs. And he didn't just lose. The Patriots destroyed his team. They embarrassed the Broncos. They went Book of Revelation on the Denver Tebows. I am happy about that. Look, I don't have anything against Tebow as a football player. I do have something against his bigoted political and religious views, but that is another topic. Just sports-wise, I don't like how he got all the credit for the Broncos' turn around. SportsCenter is as much to blame for Tebowmania as anyone else. I hope that he grows and becomes a real QB. I hope that he has a solid career. I hope he softens his conservative views and becomes more accepting of others. But I really hope America gets over him pretty soon, cause he will be watching the Super Bowl at home like the rest of us. Oh, and that Tom Brady? He is pretty damn good.

- Sunday saw my other team (besides the awful Redskins) win a sloppy playoff game. The Ravens were able to hold on to an early lead and beat the Texans. Let me say this: The Texans were game, and Arian Foster was great. However, the only reason they were in the game late was that the offensive play calling of the Ravens is awful. Cam Cameron is not a good offensive coordinator. When you know your team always wins when you feature back gets 20 carries, you don't only get to that late in the 4th. Ray Rice is the best offensive player for the Ravens. Feed the Beast! Furthermore, that OL needs to give Rice and Flacco more time. I think they will do that against the meager pass rush of the Patriots. Oh, JJ Watt of the Texans? The next Jared Allen.

- The night game today saw the upset. The Packers looked lost at home, and Eli Manning put the Eli in Elite. The Giants beat down the Pack Attack, and look scary for any other team who might play them. The 49ers need to have another quick start against Eli and that balanced passing/rushing attack. The Giants' defense forced turnovers and the offense capitalized. That is how you win on the road, and that is how you win the Super Bowl.


Looking forward to the Championship games. I will have my predictions up next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment