Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January Morning Musings

I don't like waking up this early when I am not getting paid, but I figure I would share with you, my faithful dozen or so readers, some of my sports thoughts this fine January morning in the year of our (maybe not yours, its cool. I don't judge) Lord, 2012.

- The Yu Darvish deadline is tonight, and I think there is a real chance that he doesn't sign with the Rangers. But that isn't what frightens me. I would be terrified of Texas if they signed Darvish and then found the money for Prince Fielder. Let's be honest: Prince fits better in Arlington than he does in DC. The Nats would love his big lefty bat, but his sub-par defense and size would hurt us in the 5th or 6th years in his contract. I would love it if he was on South Capitol Street blasting bombs into the Anacostia, but I still don't see it happening. In the end, the Nats could end up better off if Michael Morse grows into a consistant slugging 1b, and they can use the Fielder money to sign Ryan Zimmerman, Jordan Zimmermann and a new centerfielder long term. Michael Bourne and BJ Upton, come on down!

- I didn't hear all of the interview, but I don't have a huge problem with Ed Reed calling out Joe Flacco. The thing is, it wasn't all Joe's fault. Cam Cameron is a horrible offensive coordinator. The play calls weren't great. The offensive line got beat off the ball every down. I really like JJ Watt, but he looked like Reggie White out there. Michael Oher got blindsided (get it?) and was backpedaling every down. So, I just hope that Reed has sat down with his other teammates and called them out too. I think Joe will be fine, and the offense will look good against the Patriots, as long as they FEED THE BEAST! Give Ray his carries, and then it is on the defense to stop Tom Brady.

- Is anyone else already bored by the NBA? It seems to just be a season where the team that avoids getting hurt will win. It doesn't help that my team is the worst in DC history. And that is all sports, not just basketball. It just isn't as entertaining for me as... say...

- The NCAA season. Yes, I am biased. Syracuse is 20-0. It is the best start in my alma mater's history. I love it. However, I am not an optimistic sports fan. Years of rooting for the Caps, Skins, Wizards and Syracuse football have caused me to expect the worst. What do I want from Boeheim and the boys? I would like to see them go deep in the tournament. I would, of course, love to see them win it all, but I never expect it. That being said, Cuse has more depth than it has had in recent memory, including the '03 title team. They have a coach with championship experience and 4th most wins in NCAA history, soon to be 3rd (We are coming for you, Dean). The reason I think it could be the year is that every other team has noticable flaws. Inconsistency, lack of experience, inability to close, it is all there. Perhaps Jimmy B will get his second title and some more glory this year. Who could have predicted that the way the year started. Speaking of...

- I am still waiting for ESPN to apologize to Cuse Nation for the way it has reported the Bernie Fine case, especially since one of the accusers admitted he was lying. ESPN wanted the story to be much bigger than it was because they missed out on breaking the Jerry Sandusky case. I am not defending Fine, because I think he probably did something wrong with the main two accusers. I am also thrilled he was fired, just because it gives Gerry Mcnamara a spot on the bench. But ESPN needs to admit that they reported and assumed too much without any evidence. I don't expect it any time soon, but it should happen.

- The Australian Open is happening right now. Did you know that? I thought not. Anyway, I am not overly compelled by any of the story lines down there, since it is still the early rounds. If something exciting happens, I will try to mention it here.

- Here is a song for a January morning. One of my favorites from last year:



Enjoy, and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment