Friday, February 5, 2016

My 2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

The night before the Super Bowl, the NFL holds their fancy awards show, where they not only name MVP, offensive and defensive players of the year, but also announce the new members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Personally, I hate that they have lumped this massive honor into a tacky awards show.  I liked it a lot more when the announcement and the interviews thereafter where their own events.  Hell, one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen on sports TV was Redskins all-time great Darrell Green essentially taking over the interview segment, asking his classmates all the questions instead of the host.  Sadly, the NFL won't listen to me about this, so I have to accept this tape-delayed awards show as the new normal.

The voters will gather early Saturday morning and listen to presenations on the 15 Modern Era finalists, as well as the two Senior Committee finalist, Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel, and Eddie DeBartolo Jr as a Contributor finalist.  Here are the 15 finalists:

- Morton Anderson
- Steve Atwater
- Don Coryell
- Terrell Davis -
- Tony Dungy
- Alan Faneca
- Brett Favre -
- Kevin Greene -
- Marvin Harrison -
- Joe Jacoby
- Edgerrin James
- John Lynch
- Terrell Owens
- Orlando Pace -
- Kurt Warner

There is a maximum of 5 modern candidates, and this (like most years) will see that number reached.  I am a firm believer in the Senior finalists always getting in, so I think they will be in the HOF.  DeBartolo is a controversial figure, but he was the owner of the 49ers at the peak of their success.  I would put him into the Hall of Fame also.  That brings us to my picks for the Class of 2016.  Now, I am trying to balance realism vs who I really want in.  If I had my choice, Joe Jacoby wold have been in the HOF 10 years ago.  It is insane that the 3-time Super Bowl champion All Pro left tackle of the Washington Redskins isn't in the Hall of Fame.  The Hogs were one of the greatest offensive lines of all time, and deserve to have more than just Russ Grimm representing them in the HOF.  However, the voters seem hesitant to put him in, since this is his first time as a Finalist at all.  I am confident he will be in the Hall eventually, but I digress.  Here are my picks, in alphabetical order:

- Terrell Davis
The time has come.  Some people will say that Terrell Davis didn't have a long enough career, or that his dominance needed to last longer for him to be a Hall of Famer.  I say you put in Gale Sayers, who had a shorter career.  All respect to John Elway, but Terrell Davis is the main reason why the Broncos won two Super Bowls at the end of the 1990s.  He averaged 142.5 yards per game when it mattered most, in the playoffs.  He shown brightest on the biggest stage of them all. Add onto that fact that he was a league MVP, a 3-time AFC rushing champion, 3-time Pro Bowler, 2-time Offensive Player of the year, and a member of the 1990s All-Decade team.  That sounds like a Hall of Famer to me.

- Brett Favre
I don't really think I have to explain this one.  Brett is a lock, as well he should be.  My only question is this- Why is Brett praised universally with his 1 Super Bowl and 2 appearances, but everyone mocks Peyton Manning?  Whatever.  Favre's in.

- Kevin Greene
Kevin Greene is one of the most dominant pass rushers in NFL history.  He holds the record for most sacks ever by a linebacker at 160, which is still #3 all time on the sack list trailing only Hall of Famers Bruce Smith and Reggie White.  Greene was a 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All Pro, and a member of the 1990s All-Decade team.  Canton should welcome him with open arms.

- Marvin Harrison
Another Orangeman enters the Hall of Fame!  Wide receiver is a difficult position to elect, according to the HOF voters.  For so long they left out the likes of Art Monk, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, and Andre Reed.  Maybe they have learned from their past mistakes, and will make sure to put in one this year.  Personally, I think it should be Marvin Harrison.  While TO may be more flashy, he was also a genuine ass on and off the field.  The voters punish things like that, just to send a message.  Since this is TO's first time on the ballot, I could see him having to wait a bit, but not too long.  Behind Marvin and TO are Issac Bruce and Torry Holt, and a certain Mr. Randy Moss will be along pretty soon as well.  Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning ruled the regular season for a decade.  He is an 8-time Pro Bowler, was 1st team All-Pro 3 times and 2nd-team 5 times, 2 time leader in receiving yards and receptions, and is on the 1st team of the 2000s All-Decade team, ahead of TO.  He had Canton written all over him.

- Orlando Pace
So, as I mentioned before, if it was up to me this would be Joe Jacoby.  He laid the foundation for how a dominant left tackle should play, and Orlando Pace followed that blueprint.  Really, I think it would be fun if the Hall of Fame Class of 2017 is the Greatest Show on Turf edition, with Warner, Pace, Holt, and Bruce joining 1st ballot lock LaDainian Tomlinson, but that won't happen.  Instead, I see Pace getting in this year. 7-time Pro Bowler, 4-time All Pro, and member of the 2000s All Decade team.  The other 3 tackles on the All Decade team (Johnathan Ogden, Walter Jones, Willie Roaf) are already in the Hall of Fame.  They should be joined by Pace.

Really, every player on this list is deserving of enshrinement.  Eventually, I think they all will get in (PUT IN JOE JACOBY!), but for this year, these are my 5 modern era Hall of Famers.

No comments:

Post a Comment