Wednesday, January 6, 2016

NFL Playoff Preview and Picks- Wildcard Weekend

So, the NFL Playoffs are here.  That is always a bit bittersweet for me, since it means I will no longer get to watch fellow Syracuse grad Scott Hanson and NFL Redzone each week.  It is the greatest invention in modern sports TV history.  Playoffs also mean no more fantasy football for me, but I won my league again, so I am ok with that.  Finally, the playoffs usually mean that my team is already at home looking towards the draft.  But not this year!  Yes, somehow, the Washington Redskins won the putrid NFC East with a 9-7 record, and will be hosting a game this weekend.  Kirk Cousins is a legit starting QB, Jay Gruden seems to be a good coach, and our idiot owner didn't get in the way.  So, for at least a few more days, Skins fans get to scream "You Like That!?" at people.  It is a beautiful thing.

Of course, the Skins aren't the only team in the playoff.  The best of the best square off starting this weekend in the Wild Card round.  There are some tough matchups for the home teams.  It wouldn't surprise me if all the Wild Card teams won.  So, looking at all of the games individually, what are my picks?  Let's find out together!

Saturday:

Kansas City Chiefs at Houston Texans, 4:20 pm

I'm not entirely sure how the Texans did it, but even without a QB and a healthy #1 RB, they made it into the playoffs.  Sure, their division was garbage, but all you have to do to make it to the dance is beat enough of the teams on your schedule, and they did.  That being said, I think that their ride stops here.  The Chiefs are the hottest team in football, having won 10 straight after starting out 1-5.  Are they built to wow you with an explosive offense?  No, but they have found a way to average 25 points per game, and Alex Smith has played extremely well.  Were they expected to be a superb defense?  No, but they finished the regular season ranked #3 in scoring defense, allowing only 18 points a game.  I just think that the Chiefs are on too much of a role for the Texans to keep up.  Give me the Chiefs 20-13.


Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals, 8:15 pm

This comes down to who is at QB for the Bengals.  If it is Andy Dalton, I give the Bengals a much better chance at winning.  He was playing at an MVP level before he injured his thumb trying to tackle a player.  If it is AJ McCarron, who has looked average during his chance to start, then I am picking the Steelers all the way.  The Steelers biggest enemy is themselves.  They have all the talent in the world, a Superbowl winning QB and coach, and experience in the playoffs.  If they are able to play their game and avoid stupid penalties and turnovers, they will be very tough to beat.  Dalton just had his cast removed, but it sounds like the Bengals will start McCarron.  I'll take Pittsburgh big, 31-17.


Sunday:

Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings, 1:05 pm

I respect everything the Vikings have done.  They took the division from the Packers.  Adrian Peterson seems to be able to run on everyone.  Their defense can play great ball when asked to.  Bridgewater manages the game well, and can even make big plays when asked.  They are a great team.  That being said, Seattle is going to win.  There is a reason I wanted no part of the Seahawks when the Skins clinched the division.  When the Seahawks are on, as they have been for weeks (that little blip vs the Rams notwithstanding) they can beat everyone.  Hell, just 5 and a half weeks ago, they went to Minnesota and destroyed the Vikings 38-7.  I don't think it will be that lopsided again, but I do think that the Seahawks will move on to face Carolina, 24-16.


Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins, 4:40 pm

How concerned is the national media about this game?  Well, some are wondering, out loud, on TV, whether or not they'd rather have Aaron Rodgers or Kirk Cousins right now.  Seriously, that is happening.  I can't say that it is all Rodgers' fault.  Losing Jordy Nelson threw off the entire season for the Packers.  They just haven't looked right.  They are 4-6 in their last 10, and that includes the Hail Mary against the Lions.  Meanwhile, the Redskins won 3 straight coming into the postseason.  Kirk and the offense are clicking.  The defense, while letting teams creep back into games, comes up with big plays at the right time.  But they Skins also have yet to beat a team with a winning record, so what kind of competition are they really?

Some folks here in DC are super-optimistic.  While I think the matchup for the Skins is a great one, it just takes a lot for me to pick them to win.  I've watched this team my whole life, even when I was actively rooting for other players on other teams because I liked them in college (hi, Donovan McNabb).  I am used to the Skins getting my hopes up and then laying an egg.  Yet I have been pleasantly surprised this year.  I sat in one of my favorite bars in August, looking at the Skins schedule, and insisting that they would only win 6 games.  They won 9 and the division.  So, maybe it is the past disappointments that keep me from being confident, or maybe pessimism is a defense mechanism that allows me to be even happier if the Skins do somehow pull it out, like they have so far. Either way, I think I have to pick Aaron Rodgers' experience over this feel-good story and a franchise that is (hopefully) on the rise.  I hope I am wrong, though.  Packers take it 21-20.


There are my picks.  That would set up Seattle at Carolina, Green Bay at Arizona, Pittsburgh at Denver, and KC at New England.  Not a bad slate of games for the Divisional round.  Enjoy the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment