Wednesday, March 18, 2015

NCAA 2015 Predictions

Well, it all starts in a mere number of hours.  March Madness will be upon us.  Since I don't have a horse in the race this year, filling out the bracket was different for me.  I only filled out one, and I actually did it based on who I might think will win, not on how Syracuse magically wins it all again.  I'm going to stick to that one bracket, good or bad, since I don't have any money riding on it.  So, here are a few of my picks, why I chose them, and who I have winning it all.

Fair warning: Unlike fantasy football, I almost never do well in NCAA tournament pools.  Its usually based on my biases towards different teams and coaches, so maybe this year will be different.

First of all, I think Kentucky will win the tournament.  There, I said it.  I am unoriginal.  I am buying into the hype.  I have probably doomed them completely.  But they are very good, extremely good, and there are only a few teams I can see actually beating them, none of whom are in their region.  One that is, however, is Arizona, who I have winning the West and facing Kentucky in the Final Four.  I think the winner of that game wins it all, regardless.

On the other side of the bracket, my picks are both from the same state.  Clearly, I have been hanging out with too many people from Iowa, because I like the Iowa State Cyclones and the Northern Iowa Panthers.  My bracket just breaks in such a way where this seems possible.  Iowa State is a very impressive team, and can beat everyone in their pod, plus can take on Gonzaga and Duke if they happen to get that far.  As for UNI, I think they can get some help from other teams in their bracket.  I, perhaps foolishly, have Louisville losing in the first round to my new tournament darlings, the UC-Irvine Anteaters and their 7'6 center Mamadou N'Diaye.  It is their first trip to the tournament, so I think they should make a splash.  Plus, Louisville has dismissed starting guard Chris Jones, who was the ACC leader in assists.

So, there is my Final Four- Kentucky, Arizona, UNI and Iowa State.  I have Kentucky beating Iowa State 75-65.

Some other upset picks?  Eastern Washington over Georgetown, Providence and Michigan State meeting in the Sweet 16, Wichita State beating Kansas, and Woffard over Arkansas.

Enjoy the Madness tomorrow.  May your bracket not get busted.

No comments:

Post a Comment