Thursday, December 29, 2011

Things I Would Change

Good Evening my friends.

I have been thinking... a dangerous pastime, I know. There are things in sports that I would like to change. I don't mean rules, like the kickoff in the NFL or the 24 second shot clock. Also, I won't get started on the BCS. I just mean little things that annoy me, and that, were I king of the Sports World, I would change. Here are just a few of my ideas:

- Make the San Diego Chargers switch the their powder blue uniforms full-time. They are the best unis in sports.

- Make ESPN no longer cover Duke-UNC basketball. We get it, they have a history. You overdo it. I think you have overdone it so much that you should lose it for a while. Dickie V will get over it, I am sure.

- Make everyone agree that Army-Navy is the best NCAA football rivalry. It isn't about hate. It is competition among young men who then go out and risk their lives for our freedoms. Ohio State-Michigan, ND-USC, the Iron Bowl or Miami-FSU just can't compete with that.

- Take away the designated hitter. I have done a complete 180 on this since the Nats came to DC. I like watching NL baseball more. There is strategy. There is small ball. While some of my favorite players of all time were DH's (especially Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez), I still think it should be done away with. The modern pitcher can actually hit.

- To be on Monday Night Football, you must have made the playoffs in the previous year. It seems like every week, the Jaguars and Browns were on MNF. They shouldn't be unless they earn it. I know with the schedule this doesn't really work. You will need some non-playoff teams. But they don't get to host the games. If you are the playoff team, you host the game.

- No more football games in London. Ever.

- Take away fan voting from All Star Games if they mean something... so... Baseball.

- Add a fan vote for the Hall of Fame. It is the only way Ray Guy will ever get in, I guess.

- PUT RAY GUY IN THE HOF! He is the best punter ever. He should be in.

- Stop the fake American obsession with the English Premier League. If you haven't spent at least a semester in England, you can't claim a team as your own. Go to an MLS game. They need your money.

- Change the NBA Draft so they can't keep foreign players overseas for multiple years. Too many good American players are going without jobs. No more outsourcing our basketball unless the guy comes and plays in America within a year after being drafted.

- Make the NCAA play in games all for the last few at-large teams. Conference Champions shouldn't have to deal with play-ins. And maybe that way Virginia Tech would finally get into the tournament with their weak resume and their one quality win (over Duke)... But probably not.

- Mascots have to kind of, sort of, make sense for the team. Or, they at least need to be funny enough where I don't care. That is born of the Philadelphia 76ers Mascot fiasco currently going on.

- Goalies should shoot more in the NHL. I just think it is fun when they score.

I will think of more, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment