Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wrestlemania, and Goodbye HBK

So, Wrestlemania was this last weekend. I didn't see it, since $64 is too much. However, ESPN columnist Bill Simmons did, and wrote a running diary so he would write it off as a column expense. Genius. Read it here!

Now, the last match saw "The Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels lose to The Undertaker, thus causing 'Taker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania to reach 18-0. The other stipulation was that "HBK" had to retire. I know that most/all of you reading this don't care about pro wrestling, but I have been a fan, like Bill Simmons, my entire life. I am sure when I am old and gray, I will still like it. I know it isn't real, obviously. But it doesn't change the fact that it is damn-good entertainment, in my opinion. And for me, in my life, as great as Hulk Hogan, the nWo, Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, The Rock, Vader, British Bulldog, Andre the Giant, The Big Show, Sting, Macho Man, Yokozuna, John Cena, Chris Jericho, Edge, HHH and even the Undertaker himself are/were, there is none better than Shawn Michaels.

HBK did it all- He could wrestle, fly through the air, and sell injuries (especially those to his back, because they were legit. He missed 4 years due to them). He could be both a face and a villain, and everyone loved him no matter which he was. He is easily one of the best guys on the microphone that wrestling has ever seen (The Rock and Austin are probably 1 and 2, but HBK is right there with them), and his Degeneration-X moments with HHH are classic. I mean, the two of them made the crotch-chop and the term "Suck It" part of the American lexicon. HBK had an impact. Now that he is gone for good as a full-time wrestler (he will be back for his Hall of Fame induction, and probably to do some guest spots once a year or so, but not to wrestle), the WWE will be a little less entertaining. Sure, he is 44 now, but damn it, he was still the best thing going in the business. Every time one of these young guys undersells a move, botches a finish or gives a terrible promo (which a lot of them do), I am going to think how much better it would be if it was good old HBK doing it instead. Because he was the best. So Goodbye Shawn. We will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment