Thursday, August 8, 2013

JFLANland's NFL Fantasy Forum: Who To Avoid

I don't claim to be a fantasy guru.  The fact that I have won my fantasy football league the last three years may show I know something though.  Yes, a combination of luck and knowledge has earned me some nice cash prizes, and I would like to pass some of this knowledge onto you.  Why?  Cause I'm a nice guy.  Also, I know my luck won't go on forever, so I might as well act like a know-it-all while I can.

For the first installment of JFLANland's NFL Fantasy Forum, I'd like to give you some of my players to avoid.  I don't like taking these guys, or players of their ilk.  Sometimes, it is because I hold an odd personal grudge.  Sometimes, it is because I dislike their team.  Other times it is because I think I know something you don't.  The results don't lie.  Here we go!

Do Not Draft!-

-The Dallas Cowboys.  I know, it is kind of silly.  Yet I have been able to win without them.  Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murry: They all get hurt.  They are unreliable.  Tony Romo will put up some good numbers, sure, but I tend to take QBs early enough to get one better than he is.  Maybe take Witten, but even then, I would avoid him because there are some great young tight ends on other teams.  Plus, they are the Cowboys.  You don't want to root for any of their players to do well.

- The Philadelphia Eagles.  Jeremy Maclin is out. Vick always gets hurt.  We have no idea if Chip Kelly's system will work in the NFL.  Riley Cooper will be injured by some angry safety.  DeSean Jackson doesn't really care that much.  I don't trust LeSean McCoy either.  Just avoid the Eagles.  Plus, like with the Cowboys, do you really want to root for the Eagles as the trip over themselves?



- Rob Gronkowski- Gronk hurt.  Gronk hurt a lot.  Gronk no play much.  Gronk no spike ball no more.  No draft Gronk.

- Darren McFadden and Chris Johnson.  You know that these guys have the talent, but they are perennial disappointments in fantasy.  Where is the old CJ2K?  Maybe he will be jealous that Adrian Peterson makes it look easy and will decide to play again.  As for Run DMC?  He'll be hurt by Week 8, so don't waste a pick on him in the first 4 rounds.

- DeMaryius Thomas, if he is your #1 WR.  I like him a lot, but only if he is coupled with another good wideout.  Peyton Manning with get Thomas the ball for sure, but he also has Decker and Welker to throw to now.

- Ryan Mathews.  Just don't.  Not again.  You know he has hurt you in the past.  Don't let him do it one more time.

- Aaron Hernandez... Obviously.

- Any Jets receiver until they prove they can throw.  Normally, I am all for taking the #1 WR on a bad team, because someone has to catch the passes.  In this case, though, I just don't think there is the talent there, both at QB and WR.  That being said, if you are desperate during the week for a sub, always look to the bad teams for a good replacement.  They may not get you consistent numbers like a #2 or 3 guy on an awesome team will, but they have bigger boom potential.  This can apply to the Browns too.



- Older running backs trying to hold off young guys.  This basically means that, if you don't have a #1 RB by the time the good ones are gone, you are screwed.  BenJarvis Green-Ellis is a solid flex player or substitute back, but he will be splitting time with Gio Bernard.  Rashard Mendenhall won't get much help from that Arizona O-line.  Ahmad Bradshaw will get receptions, but Vick Ballard could take some of his carries.  Frank Gore and Stephen Jackson have been horses for years, but their time will run out soon.  Be wary.  This is why you watch preseason games.

- Big XII receivers.  Wes Welker is the only exception.  Dez Bryant falls under the Cowboys rule.  Justin Blackmon is suspended.  Michael Crabtree is hurt.  There aren't any other WRs from those schools worth taking, so don't force it.\


There you go!  Hopefully this helps you out.  I'm not asking for a portion of any of your winnings, but some thanks would be nice.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment