Sunday, August 11, 2013

JFLANland's NFL Fantasy Forum: Sleepers I Love

It is entirely possible that I am a fool.  After all, I am writing this post about the fantasy sleepers that I love for my Fantasy Forum weeks before my fantasy draft.  My friends (and fantasy enemies) could very well read this and take all of my picks.  I don't know how I feel about that...

Nevertheless, I want to help you, my faithful reader, win your league however I can.  So, here are some of those lesser-known players for the 2013 NFL season that I love:

- Mike Williams, WR, Tampa Bay:  I don't know if he should really be called a sleeper.  He just signed a big contract extension, which was very much deserved.  While Vincent Jackson may be the big play threat for the Bus, Mike Williams is the great possession receiver that can also catch touchdowns.  Last year he had more fantasy points than Antonio Brown, Dwayne Bowe, Larry Fitzgerald, Jordy Nelson, Desean Jackson and a ton of other WRs being drafted above him.  With his QB entering a contract year, and with Doug Martin a legitimate Top 10 fantasy back, I see no reason why Williams won't improve on those numbers.



- Rookie running backs!  Last year I watched all of the Redskins preseason games.  I noticed that a certain Mr. Alfred Morris was getting a ton of touches, and playing with the first team offense.  Apparently, none of my friends realized this, and I was able to snatch up Morris in the 10th round.  He went on to break Redskins rushing records and finish second in rushing yards in the NFL.  Are there guys in this rookie class than can be valuable late picks?  There sure are!
Obviously, Eddie Lacy, Montee Ball and Le'Veon Bell are the featured rookies, who are expected to start Week 1 for their teams.  But further down the ranks are guys who will not only steal carries from older backs, but will also be great for deep keeper leagues.  Giovani Bernard on the Bengals could be the starter in Cincy by Week 12 if BenJarvus Green-Ellis struggles.  He is also an ideal 3rd down back, who may even see some plays at WR because he is that good at catching the ball.  Johnathan Franklin will be splitting carries with Lacy in Green Bay, but may be the more dependable every-down back.  Denard Robinson will be a WR/RB hybrid, officially listed as OW: Offensive Weapon.  The former Michigan QB will be a slasher on a team in desperate need for an offensive kick, so its worth stashing him on your bench for a starter's bye week.

- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston:  Reporters are saying the rookie wideout is impressing everyone at camp.  The great news about this is that, since Andre Johnson will get all of the defense's attention in the passing game, is that Hopkins should get one-on-one coverage all the time.  In his first pro game, he was targeted 5 times, and got 4 catches, 52 yards and a touchdown.  He'll start as the Texans' #2 receiver Week 1.



- Tyler Eifert, TE, Cincinnati:  Kyle Rudolph is listed as a top 5 tight end by ESPN.  He doesn't have a QB throwing to him.  Eifert is younger, more talented, and already has great chemistry with Andy Dalton.  Lots of teams will be upset they didn't draft this Notre Dame TE.

- Jared Cook, TE, St. Louis:  Sam Bradford has always lacked great weapons in the passing game.  While Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey will help with the WR ranks, it is Cook that is going to be his best option.  Reports are that Cook has lined up at TE and split out wide, and looks to have as much of an offensive presence as another higher-rated tight end in the NFC West, Vernon Davis.

- Baltimore's defense:  Did they lose Ray Lewis and Ed Reed?  Yep.  Did they get younger, deeper, faster and more explosive through their draft and free agency?  Sure did.



- Kenny Stills, WR, New Orleans:  For deeper leagues, it is never a bad idea to take the #3 guy from an explosive offense.  Kenny Stills has a future HOFer throwing to him, and won't be guarded as closely as Colston or Graham.  He'll put up great numbers some weeks, and probably none on others, and could be one of those feared Big XII WR busts, but it is never a bad idea to take one of Brees' weapons.

- Joseph Randle, RB, Dallas:  I know, this goes against my "Don't Draft Cowboys" mantra.  However, we have seen that DeMarco Murray is made of glass and cannot stay healthy.  Randle has already impressed in preseason, so you should keep your eye on him later in the year.



That's all the secrets I feel like giving away right now.  I hope that this helps you out.  Remember, watch the preseason games and follow how teams are using these sleepers.  Then you can learn if they are worth picking sooner rather than later.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment