Monday, April 6, 2020

The Past Year, COVID-19, and the 2020 Mock Draft Update

Hi friends.

It has been almost a year since I last posted.  A lot of fun sports stuff has happened.  My Nats won the World Series!  It was amazing.  Also, the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.  Tom Brady isn't a Patriot.  However, all of that has kind of faded into the past due to the worldwide pandemic that is COVID-19. There are, in fact, almost no sports happening right now.  March Madness was cancelled.  NHL and NBA stopped their seasons.  MLB has never started.  Honestly, if it wasn't for video games, WWE, horse racing, and NFL Free Agency/the Draft, I think I'd go mad.  It is a very strange and scary time, and sports has always been an escape for me during the worst times in my life.  Unfortunately, sports are not here to provide so many of us with the familiar comfort and distraction that we so desperately need.

A few days ago, on a particularly dark day, I actually wondered aloud whether or not I would bother doing my annual mock draft.  Everything just seems so bad that writing about the Draft seems like a somewhat silly activity.  However, I am still going to do my best to power through and get one done on here before the weird all-virtual NFL Draft starts on April 23.  I know that, due to this blog's antiquated design and me not actually being anyone important, almost no one reads it.  In fact, if I don't post this online, no one will be reading it other than me.  And I am actually ok with that.  I will be doing the Draft as much for me as for any potential readers.  I'll be doing it because it is sports, and it is my happy place.  It will bring me comfort and distraction, which is what sports are meant to do anyway.  I know I need it.  Hopefully, you will find some when you read the mock draft.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment