Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ten New Rules for Baseball Fans

I go to a ton of baseball games.  The more I go, the more I realize that there are things that just annoy me about some fans.  Sure, there are the things that spread across every ballpark, like people walking in the aisles during gameplay which should be outlawed.  But I have come up with a list of things that are fairly specific to particular fanbases, or at least deal with particular fans.  So, without further adieu, here is my list of Ten New Rules for Baseball Fans:

1.  If you are not a Cubs fan seeing a game at Wrigley Field, you do not get to "throw the ball back".  I have never caught a foul ball, much less a home run.  This is a Chicago thing that some other fans have tried to adopt as their own.  Even TV commercials now have an ad where a Dodgers fan throws a ball back.  Not so fast my friend!  The Cubs own this one, and they should be the only ones allowed to do it, as long as it happens at their own park.  If they are on the road?  Suck it up, your pitcher just gave up a dinger.  Give the ball to a kid.

2.  Braves fans are no longer aloud to do "The Chop".  I am sure you are aware of what this is, a fun (and fairly offensive/ politically incorrect) cheer where you pretend you are a Native American, do a war chant and move your arm like it is a tomahawk.  Not only is it annoying, but it isn't even your gimmick!  It belongs to Florida State and no one else.  The only reason the Braves started doing The Chop was because they signed FSU alum Deion Sanders to play with them, and he brought the cheer with him.  Sorry Atlanta, but you are no longer allowed to use it.

3.  Baltimore Orioles fans are only allowed to scream "O!" during the National Anthem at Camden Yards.  I am not a big fan of screaming anything during the anthem.  I don't like when Caps fans scream "Red" in the Verizon Center.  I think it is disrespectful to our country and our song.  But, since you feel like you have to do that instead of singing along in honor of our great land, keep it to yourselves at home games.  This is an especially bad problem for me, a Nationals fan and season ticket holder, because most of us grew up a fan of the Orioles.  Still, at every game, some drunk fool screams "O" even though they are 40 miles south of the Inner Harbor.

4.  No more cheering injuries.  You can faciciously call for an injury while an outfielder is making an eay play, but to revel in someone else getting hurt is not a good thing.  I know I am guilty of this, and I am trying to change.  I also know that Phillies fans love cheering the demise of anyone else, but I won't limit it to them.  We are better than this, sports fans.

5.  No one should do The Wave.  Ever.  Especially not if your team is losing, but that falls under "EVER".

6.  There should no longer be cheering about how a third team sucks in a game between two other teams.  For example, If you are at Fenway Park, seeing the Red Soxs play the Tigers, the chant of "Yankees Suck" should not be resonating off the Green Monster.  Concentrate on the game at hand.  Especially if you are a Soxs fan this year, because you are probably losing.

7.  A guest submission from my friend Robbie- "Mets fans shouldn't be allowed to get their hopes up."  I'm sorry, but it is funny.  By the way, here is a nice rant by Mike Francesa about those Mets.

8.  One closer to home for me- Nationals fans have to stop putting up with Teddy losing the Presidents' Race.  It has gone on way too long, it isn't funny anymore, and it is COMPLETELY HISTORICALLY INNACURATE!  I don't know if there is a perennial loser in the Periogi or Sausage races, but they have no basis in history.  They are racing food.

9.  No more streaking or running on the field.  Again, we are better than that... At least I think we should be better than that.

10.  Finally, a two-parter: First, remove your cap and sing the National Anthem.  It shows pride in our country.  Second, if at some point during the game, your team honors the military or troops that have come home, or those who have been wounded, or something like that, stand up and applaud.  These men and women have given their time, their devotion, and in many cases their lives so that we can sit in a ballpark and watch grown men play a boy's sport.  The very least we can do is show them our appreciation and support.

1 comment:

  1. Regarding the "O!": I am in general agreement with the post, but would tweek it slightly. First, the Good People of Baltimore, in their stadium, should not be looked at askance for the cheer. After all, it was their town that was under attack when the Star Spangled Banner yet waved and was written about. It's theirs; they own the song. Second, I agree that it should be done by O's fans only at games at which the Orioles are playing. This has not been a problem in the post season for fifteen years but . . . well . . . ya never know. "Third, LET'S GO, O's ! ! !

    ReplyDelete