Monday, April 23, 2012

The Weekend That Was 4/20-4/22

Just a quick look at some of the weekend that was in the world of sports:

- My Nats look really good.  They finished their homestand 12-4.  The pitching staff is the best in the majors right now.  The only problem has been the offense.  The lineup needs more pop in it, especially with Michael Morse out for a while.  There are whispers that Tyler Moore, the most pro-ready slugger in AAA Syracuse, may be called up soon.  That could help a good deal.  He has been playing more games at left field, and a power bat to go along with LaRoche and Werth would be super.

- Why do we love Jayson Werth?  Because he gets on base.

- I still love Rick Ankiel's arm.  Follow it on twitter @AnkielsArm

- The Capitals are heading back to Boston for Game 7.  I know I can be pessimistic sometimes, but doesn't this seem like the same old story we have seen since 2008?  The Caps could have closed out the Bruins on Sunday.  Instead, a stupid turnover by Nicklas Backstrom leads to an easy Tyler Seguin goal in overtime.  I hope I am wrong, but history is making me concerned.

- I recently had a conversation with my good friend Colin.  I've known him for 12 years, since back in high school.  He was a goalie for our hockey team.  He loves hockey.  I trust his opinion on the sport.  He says Johnathan Quick should be MVP, or at least win the Vezina.  Having watched every game in the Kings/Canucks series, and seeing just how dominant and talented Quick is, I have a hard time disagreeing with Colin.  Look at it this way:  The Kings offense was the second worst in the NHL.  Their goals against average? Second best.  It's all Johnathan Quick.  He is the type of special goalie who, with a hot hand, can carry an 8-seed like the Kings to the Stanley Cup finals.  That makes him more valuable than anyone else in the league.

- I love that the Penguins are out.  Sorry.

- I like that the Canucks and Red Wings are out.  Sorry.

- Unlike some people, I like that more teams are winning the Cup and finding playoff success.  Hockey got boring when it was just the Red Wings and Devils winning every year.  Then the Avalanche got involved and it got exciting.  After that, teams like the Lightening, Hurricanes and Ducks have provided hope for fans of the sport whose teams have yet to achieve greatness.  Basically, as a Caps fan, it means I shouldn't give up, no matter how many times we choke.  PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, GUYS!

- Philip Humber threw a perfect game on Saturday.  It was a great moment, as perfect games always are.  What I liked the most was the strike call on the last pitch of the game.  It was borderline.  It was a checked swing.  It might have not been a strike.  But with 26 outs gone, an opposing stadium on their feet, and history on the line, the borderline calls should go to the pitcher.  Humber's stuff was unhittable, and the moment was fantastic.

- The NBA playoffs are almost here.  I promise I will write about them once the match-ups are set.


That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment