Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Next QB- Ryan Tannehill

Everyone knows that Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III will be the top 2 picks in this year's NFL Draft. The question is, who will be the next QB to go. Well, if you listen to the draft guru's like my man Mel Kiper Jr and his protege Todd McShay, that QB is Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. Here are some thoughts on Tannehill.



- Do you trust a former wide receiver who plays QB and only started 19 games? It isn't like the Aggies blew anyone off the field this year. Yes, they won a bowl game with Tannehill at the helm, but as good as he was, he also made some boneheaded plays in big situations.

- Todd McShay loves Tannehill, but knows of that big game issue: “I think the most underrated player – maybe in the entire draft right now – is Ryan Tannehill. … Tannehill is just, to me, steady, sturdy lower body, smooth delivery, accurate, and the only thing he needs to answer, and teams need to figure out...is how did he, under his watch, allow Texas A&M to lose five games in which they had leads. That’s the whole thing.”

- NFL Network's Mike Mayock has similar thoughts on Tennehill, and even finds a comparison to a first round pick from last draft: “Tannehill has 19 starts, and he’s a former wide receiver. I can see all the attributes of a [Jake] Locker in Tannehill. He’s a big, strong kid that can push the ball down the field. He’s athletic. I like everything about him except for the fact that on tape, I think he stares his receivers down and waits for them to come up before he rips it. That’s typical of a young quarterback without a lot of starts. I look at him and say kind of like Jake Locker. He’s going to take a little bit of time. It’s going to take a year or so. Nineteen starts is not a lot of starts for a college quarterback.”

- Tannehill has the size, and the arm. He is 6'4, 222 lbs. He didn't work out at the Combine because he is recovering from a broken foot. You have to look at the tape, and that is where the concern comes from. Still, it looks like he will be a top 10 pick.

- I, as you might guess, am not a huge follower of Texas sports. I try my best, but there are people that know more than I do. So, for Ryan Tannehill, I go to a true expert on Aggies sports... My cousin Drew, proud graduate of Texas A&M University: "Well, I know he's a really good guy, has great character, and will work really hard for your team. He's very intelligent, he's not afraid to run because he was one of our receivers, but he tends to make bad decisions when throwing the ball down the stretch. He's smart enough and works hard enough that in a good system like the Shanahan's [Drew thinks Shanahan's system is good... Foolish...] he could develop into a sleeper this draft. He's also an athlete who's got good size. He's probably one of the better picks after Luck and Griffin because of who he is as a person and his determination."


So, what is my verdict on Tannehill? I might take him in the draft if I had another QB ready to start for a year or two while he gets used to the NFL. Miami, for example, could start Matt Moore for another year, then start Tannehill. I see him as a project. He needs a little more experience. I need to see that he won't get rattled when he makes a mistake. One of the most important things a NFL QB needs to have is a short memory. Tannehill doesn't have that yet. So, if I am the Redskins, who have no QB right now, would I take Tannehill at #6?

No I would not.

I am just not sold on his ability to spend a top 10 pick on him, which is where it looks like he will go. There are other QBs I know that the Skins could get in the 2nd Round, and they have too many issues to fill. Miami, Buffalo, Kansas City and Seattle would all be better fits for him than Washington.

Coming next in "The Next QB"- Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State University.

No comments:

Post a Comment