Monday, April 29, 2013

Some Final Draft Thoughts

Just a few thoughts about how the 2013 NFL Draft went:

- I still have no idea what the Bills were doing taking EJ Manuel over Ryan Nassib.  The only reason Marrone has a NFL head coaching job is because of Nassib's play.  I, like some others, think that Manuel is a project, and the Bills can't afford to wait for him if they want to compete.  It isn't like Kevin Kolb and Tavares Jackson are the best QBs in the world.  Nassib could have stepped right into a system that he already knows and has played in for 4 years.  Of course, we found out later than Bills' Hall of Famer Bruce Smith is Manuel's godfather, so some strings could have been pulled there.

- Ryan Nassib now gets to backup Eli Manning.  The Giants had a weird draft.  It was as if they wanted me to start rooting for them.  Very happy for Cuse's Justin Pugh going #19 overall.  If Eli goes down, Nassib will be ready to go.

- Tyrann Mathieu got drafted.  If I'm the Cardinals,  I give him one chance.  Bill Polian said he wouldn't draft a guy with character issues like Mathieu.  He was a 6-time Executive of the Year.  I'd trust him.

- I think the Rams had the best draft.  Just from top to bottom, it was great.  The Bengals, Ravens and Vikings did well also.

- I thought the Skins did an OK job.  Drafting a corner and two safeties was smart.  However, even though I know Mike Shanahan is a RB guru, I don't think it was necessary to draft two running backs when we still have Alfred Morris.

- Manti Te'o to the Chargers was perfect.  He will stay away from the East Coast media, and gets a chance to play along some solid linebackers.  I think he will fit very well in the team and the community.

- I'm not entirely sure why the Eagles took Matt Barkley, unless Chip Kelly is completely redoing his offense, but the fact that he was available in the 4th round makes him a steal.

- Sorry, Geno Smith.  Learn everything you can from David Garrard, and wait until your contract with the Jets is up, or until they fire Rex.

- Eric Fisher was the #1 pick.  Central Michigan.  Crazy.

- My boy AJ Francis was not drafted, which baffles me.  However, he did sign with the Dolphins yesterday, so its all good.  Congrats AJ!


Time for OTA's and some more free agency.  Only a few months til preseason starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment