Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Missed A Ton

So, I have been lazy and haven't written anything recently. Time to change. I have missed a ton, so let's play catch up!

- MY WASHINGTON NATIONALS have been playing great baseball recently. I don't know if they will still be in it in September, but I like that they are a real team now. Everyone (well almost... more on that in a bit) has been playing so well, the pitching has been great, it is wonderful. I love going to games and actually expecting to win sometimes. It is great. The Nats are great.

- Jim Riggleman is a punk. Why would you leave. If you follow my FB, you know my thoughts on this bum. He signed a contact, knew his situation, and tried to strong-arm Rizzo into an extension. Rizzo earned his 5-year deal by going out, signing players and creating a team that is now above .500. Who the hell does Riggleman think he is, when all he has accomplished has been getting us to 3rd place? You earn extensions for entire seasons, not for winning 11 through June. Davey Johnson will be just fine leading us and helping us grow, and some new guy will get one hell of a team to work with next year. Riggleman? He will be known for ruining Kerry Wood's arm and leaving a great young team on the rise.

- Now, I said almost everyone was carrying their weight on the team. There is a BIG exception to that, and his name happens to be Jayson Werth. He is paid $126 million to hit and field consistently. Instead, he strikes out looking more than anyone I have ever seen. He never swings at first pitch strikes (new Werth drinking game: 1 swig for looking at a strike, 2 if it is 1st pitch). He needs to start earning his money like the rest of the team, including...

- Danny Espinosa. He is the first rookie second baseman to ever have 15 home runs before the all-star break. He has an .800 OPS. He is a Gold Glove caliber 2nd baseman (he won't win it this year, just because everyone knows Brandon Phillips more). I love having him on the team.

- Congrats to the Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup. I now have no hope for my Caps to win one anytime soon, unless Neuvirth or Holtby magically becomes Tim Thomas.

- NBA Draft thoughts? Jan Vesely is a pimp/Casanova, and I think Rick Jackson should have gotten drafted. Other than that, nothing too special.

- Congrats Jonny Flynn on getting traded from the Timberwolves. Now, prove yourself in Houston.

- Rory McElroy had an insane US Open. I hope he becomes dominant, just cause it would be fun to have that dominant guy in the sport again.

- NASCAR still exists, and I don't know why.

- I think I need to get a guest column from University of Maryland starting defensive tackle, former Gonzaga actor and good friend AJ Francis. I would love to know his thoughts on the state of college football, the NCAA, the NFL Lockout, pro wrestling, and the DC sports scene. I also want him, a lifelong DC man (so I think) why his favorite NFL team is the Cowboys, why he referred to the Phoenix Suns as "we", if he cares about baseball at all, and who he roots for the in NBA.

- You should follow AJ on Twitter, The_Franchyze. You should follow me on Twitter, JFLANland.

- RE: The Matt Kemp for MVP talk- Yes, a 40-40 season is nice, and he is on pace for just that. He is still on a losing team (and franchise now). In 2006, Alfonso Soriano had the first 40-40-40 (HR, SB, 2B) season in baseball history for the losing Washington Nationals (Add in 20 OF Assists, the first to ever have that with 40-40 season). He finished 6th in the MVP voting. Don't expect the MVP just because you go 40-40.

- I really hope that my girlfriend Maria Sharapova (apologies to my actual girlfriend for finding out this way, and to Sasha Vujacic) wins Wimbledon. I have no other rooting interests.

- Anyone who ever liked pro wrestling should find CM Punk's shoot promo from last night's Raw. It felt real, raw, powerful and amazing. I wish wrestling was still like that.

- TO will be in the Hall of Fame, no doubt. But you have to think that his antagonistic attitude will cost him first ballot, right?

- I am sure the Women's World Cup is fun to watch, but without Tommy Smyth? Meh.



Ok, now that I am a bit caught up, I will try to stay on top of things. Have a good evening y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment