Sunday, February 6, 2011

SUPER BOWL PICK!!!

First, congrats to the 2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame class- Richard Dent, Marshall Faulk, Chris Hanburger, Les Richter, Ed Sabol, Deion Sanders and Shannon Sharpe. All very deserving.

Now, my pick for Super Bowl XLV:

Drumroll please....


The Green Bay Packers!






This kind of goes against my better judgment. There is no reason to pick against the Steelers. Big Ben is one of the most clutch qbs in the league. Mike Tomlin is a great coach. They have an amazing D and playmakers on offense. So, why am I picking the Pack to win?

Well, let's first discuss the (somewhat silly) reasons not to like Pittsburgh, both in this game and in general:

1. Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers' All-Pro center, is not playing. There could be at least one messed up snap, resulting in a turnover. It also means BJ Raji is going up against a backup, which isn't good for Big Ben.

2. Aaron Rodgers, over the past 3 seasons, is the best QB in games played inside. The roof will be closed in Dallas. Beware.

3. Sidney Crosby. Yes, I hate him and the Penguins so much that their existence carries over to a dislike for the Steelers (or at least the city of Pittsburgh).

4. "Black and Yellow". It is a terrible, terrible rap song, and is an ode to Pittsburgh, whose teams are all Black and Yellow. I want them to lose just so I don't have to hear that song any more.

5. Snoop Dogg. He was born in California. Raised in California. Became famous in California. Reps the West Coast. Used to wear Raider gear in videos... And then the Steelers get good and he claims he has always been a Steelers fan. I call BS. He also raps on the remix of Black and Yellow, which makes me hate him more.

6. The Steelers beat the Ravens, my AFC Champion pick.


And of course, there are silly reasons to pick the Packers as well:

1. I picked the Packers to go to the Super Bowl before the season. I need to stick with them to win it.

2. Wouldn't it be great if Aaron Rodgers won a Super Bowl and erased his most famous football moment, waiting in the green room of the NFL Draft as over 20 teams passed on him? I think it would be very special.

3. Charles Woodson and Donald Driver. Vets who I have always enjoyed watching. I would love it if they got rings.

4. Brett Favre. I want to rub it in his face that the team doesn't need him. I would love it if the Packers won with Rodgers so that he would match the number of rings Favre has. I would then root for him to win another, so that Favre is 3rd on the list of Packers QBs with Super Bowl victories. Had he walked away when he should have, we wouldn't resent him like this. But he didn't, so we do.

5. Hawk n' Dove. The bar I go to every Friday happens to be a Packers bar. My dear friend Colin is bar-tending there today. I am afraid that if the Packers lose, the fans might kill him. If they win, they will give him a very big tip. Side note- Hawk n Dove is two doors down from The Pour House, the biggest Steelers bar in DC. Very good chance there is a fight on Pennsylvania Avenue after. Glad I won't be there.


So, there you have it. The Green Bay Packers are my pick to win the Super Bowl. I think that Aaron Rodgers will be the MVP, and that the Packers will win 24-21.


Then again, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment