Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More on Dunn

A Blog on Washingtonpost.com has the following post. I don't know why we would want to trade this guy. I love him.

Adam Dunn still staying relaxed as decision nears

On Monday night, Adam Dunn felt curious about what might happen between now and the trade deadline. All along, Dunn has stayed out of the business side of his situation. But he called his agent Monday night, and while they spoke he could quell the temptation to wonder.

"He was like, 'Oh, now you want to know, huh?' " Dunn said this afternoon. "I said, 'You're right, I don't.' Now I do want to know. It's [ticking] me off. It's kind of like when you're having a kid. You kind of want to know, you kind of want to see what happens."

After Dunn bent Monday night, he didn't break. Dunn remains at the center of constant trade rumors, but with a decision nearing he is still ignoring the talk, even telling those involved he doesn't want to know. Dunn has purposefully kept himself in the dark about what his future holds, a future that will be decided within the next five days.

"It's very easy for me to block it out," Dunn said. "I understand it's my career, but the options are pretty good. I stay where I want to stay, or I go and probably get a chance to play for a World Series, definitely in a pennant race. That's two pretty awesome options. I'm in a win-win situation."

Dunn allowed that he's frustrated with the lack of a conclusion. "If you'd asked me three months ago if I thought we would have a deal worked out, absolutely," Dunn said. "But again, that's the business side where I don't even want to get involved in. I don't know what's going to happen."

Regardless of the result, though, Dunn will not harbor ill feelings towards the Nationals, he said. His representatives have been talking with the Nationals since the spring, and, contrary to what a team source told the Post, Dunn said his representatives have not tried to set any kind of deadline for contract-extension negotiations to be completed. His feelings toward the team, he said, have not changed throughout the process.

"It's business," Dunn said. "I'm not going to sit there tomorrow if I get traded and say, 'God, I hate Mike [Rizzo] and Stan [Kasten]. I can't stand them. I hate 'em all.' I'll probably end up talking to them for a long time. I really enjoy them. It's not going to affect me either way.

"I don't know how to put it, man. I really don't have a feeling, because I've done everything I can, expressed everything I wanted to express. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Whatever. It's fine.

"I've done everything I can. I've told them how I feel. Both sides know how I feel. And you've got the business side, which I don't want to be a part. If I wanted to be a part of that, I would have been an agent."

While Dunn believes he will benefit from either signing an extension or being traded, his preference remains to stay in Washington. Dunn believes the Nationals, despite their 42-57 record, are close to contention. The appeal of staying, for Dunn, lies in helping transform a perpetual loser into a winning organization.

"That's the reason why I wanted to come here," Dunn said. "I could have went somewhere that was already winning. Who cares? So what? I want to turn something around and be part of something special.

"The goal is to win, man, and we're not winning here. But I wouldn't be doing all this if I didn't think we were going to be really good, really soon. If that's the case, 'Okay, I want out of here.' I don't. I know where we're fixing to get. I know next year how much better we're going to be. I've already been stuck here with 100 losses. I want to win 100 here."

3 comments:

  1. Dude,
    If Dunn has a good relationship with Nats owner and wants to be part of the building of a contender, accept a trade,,, Nats get prospects to improve further, save money on Dunn's contract, he gets to be a hired gun for a contender and maybe gets some playoff/World Series bucks. He resigns with Nats next year. Everybody wins.
    You're having a career year, Dunn. Enjoy it! You're put out by not knowing which team will be paying you big bucks? BOO FREAKIN' HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Met game last night against the Cards. I was not hopeful before the game since Bay was sidelined with a mild concussion and Jerry Manuel was supended for the game for bumping an ump on Sunday. Plus, Wainwright was pitching and he hadn't been scored on for 16 innings.
    Amazingly, they hammered Wainwright for 6 runs, winning 8-2. Francour hit a monster shot over the center field fence for a 3 run HR. Mets almost traded him on Monday to KC for Farnsworth. With Bay questionable, Frenchy's not going anywhere.
    Mets need to win every series for the next month to get back in contention. If they take, they should become sellers. Ship Beltran (if he agrees)to a contender for prospects and try and get rid of the dead weight like Perez and Castillo. KC may want to work a trade involving Guillen, Meche or Farnsworth. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reports say that the Phils are about to trade for Roy Oswalt, finally admitting their mistake for letting Cliff Lee go.
    I pray that the Wilpons sell the Mets to someone who wants to win.

    ReplyDelete