Monday, November 5, 2018

And We Are Back. What. A. Summer!

Sometime around 11:00 PM on June 7th, 2018, I found myself outside Capital One Arena in Washington, DC, hugging my girlfriend, on the verge of tears.  Happy tears.  Very, very happy tears.  I had just seen my Washington Capitals win the Stanley Cup, and ran over to join in with the celebration at F and 7th St, NW.  Joy embraced the city for weeks after, from the parade, to the endless amounts of drinking, to blasting "We Are The Champions" while swimming in a fountain.  Then, sometime around Labor Day, most of us woke up to a frightful sight:  The Washington Nationals.

To say that I haven't been writing for a few months because of my beloved Nats is only partially true.  As per usual, the real world can get in the way of a hobby.  I have been busy living my life and being happy... then going to Nats Park and being sad.  I don't quite know what happened to my favorite team.  Bryce Harper's early season struggles, the disappearance of Gio Gonzalez and Tanner Roark as reliable rotation pieces, the complete lack of contribution from the catcher position- it was all awful.  In the end, they still finished with a winning record, 82-80, and in 2nd place, but that isn't acceptable for a team with such high hopes.  Now, with Haper's tenure in DC possibly at an end, we Nats fans face what could be a long, cold winter (though Juan Soto's gleaming smile may be the light that guides us to spring).  Nevertheless, I will try to fight through the gloom to give you more content on here.  After all, there are some pretty great things going on:

-  SYRACUSE IS GOING TO A BOWL GAME, AND IS RANKED!  *ahem* Sorry, did I shout that?

- The Caps are back to defend the Cup, and every fan I meet has a big smile on their face, as if a great weight has been lifted.  It is lovely.

-  The Wizards are playing again, and may have taken the Skins' mantle of "Most Dysfunctional Team"

- The Skins, for the moment, are in first place in the NFC East.  Adrian Peterson looks solid.  The defense has looked great in most games.  Alex Smith is still getting there, but he has no WRs to speak of.  We will check in with them closer to the playoffs.

-  NCAA basketball starts tomorrow, NCAA football is in full swing, the NBA and NHL have games every night, and we still have half a NFL season to go!  It is the most wonderful time of the year!


And yet, part of me is still waiting to hear that news about our beloved #34.  Will Bryce come back to DC?  Will a team like the Giants break the bank for him?  If so, what could the Nats get with that money (check back to see that column).  It is a fun time to follow and write about sports.  I am happy to be back doing it.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment