Thursday, April 23, 2015

Random Happenings

So its been over a month since I've written anything.  Apologies.  I was so overcome with emotion at my bracket being busted that I had to take a break...  Ok, that's not true.  I didn't even watch the NCAA Finals cause I just wasn't very interested in the teams.  The good news is that a whole bunch of stuff has happened in the past month, and its a great time to be a sports fan!  Here are just a few of my musings on whats been going on.

- It has been a while since I saw someone dominate a golf course as much as Jordan Spieth did at the Masters.  It was pretty incredible.  And to do it while many other golfers were having amazing tournaments as well is very impressive.  My only question- How does he pronounce his last name.  I swear I have heard both Speeth and Spayth.  Someone help me out here.

- The playoffs have begun!  The NBA and NHL playoffs take almost two months to finish, but they are a ton of fun.  It is weird having both my Wizards and Capitals in at the same time.  I'm just not that used to both teams being decent.  I hope they do well.  However, it looks like the Cavaliers/Warriors may already be locks for the NBA Finals with how they are playing.  On the ice, it is hard to pick against the Blackhawks, though it is easy to root against them.

- The NFL Draft is a week away!  I am 4 rounds deep into writing my mock, so I will have that posted before the Buccaneers make their selection.  I don't see any scenario in which they don't take Jameis Winston unless his character concerns (which I know would give me pause) are bad enough that a team desperate for solid QB play wouldn't take him.

- The rumored Chargers/Titans/Eagles trade would be amazing.  I don't think it will happen, mainly because it makes a lot of sense for everyone.  Tennessee needs a QB right now, and Rivers sounds like he is unhappy in San Diego.  The Chargers have probably decided its time for them to move on, and getting an extra first round pick out of the deal wouldn't be a terrible trade for a 33-year old QB.  The Eagles would get the QB that has run Chip Kelly's offense better than anyone else.  But there is the problem- Chip Kelly.  The man is crazy, even if he turns out to be a crazy genius.  He thinks that a QB rotation of Sam "Ouch my knee!" Bradford, Mark "Butt-fumble" Sanchez, and Tim "Tim Tebow" Tebow would actually make guide a team to a Super Bowl?  He either has the world's biggest ego, or he is delusional...  Or both.

- The fact that Tim Tebow gets yet another chance in the NFL and Michael Sam hasn't played in a single game annoys me to no end.  I do not want to rant about the fairly obvious reasons, but I'll just say the anyone who thinks the reason is because Sam runs a 4.9 40-yard dash is extremely gullible.  Every team in football needs help on the pass rush.  5 pass rushers could go in the top 15 of this year's draft (Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Fowler, Dupree), and yet no one could have use Michael Sam at the end of last year?  Come on.

- Baseball is back, which makes me happy.  It is apparently too early to read into a lot of things (he says after being pulled off a ledge due to the Nats sub-par start), but it is great to have the season underway.  Many of my nights will be spent at the ballpark over the next 6 months.

- The Mets have gotten out to a great start.  Could this be the year where they are relevant again?  They have a bunch of players on the DL, lost Wheeler for the year, yet have won 10 in a row.  Conversely, the Brewers look extremely bad, and Johnathan Lucroy is out 4-6 weeks with a fractured big toe.  Ouch.

- The Kentucky Derby is next Saturday as well (it is a loaded sports day).  I may do a bigger preview next week if I have time, but my pick has to be American Pharoah.  And yes, the name is intentionally spelled wrong.  Just watching him in the Arkansas Derby was enough to show me this could be a special horse.  The problem, of course, is that the Derby is a packed field and a bad ride could dismantle a horse's chance at history.  But just watching this race, and how easily he pulls away from a very good field, without being whipped at all, is stunning.





Alrighty folks.  Nice to talk to you all again.  Keep an eye out for the 2015 Mock Draft coming within the next week.  I may try to go all 7 rounds this year.  Til then, enjoy this great time for sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment